When I find kittens age up to 4 weeks without their mom, I bottle feed them till they are interested in eating solid food. I used to use a commercial formula like KMR but decided to switch to goat milk. It has been working great. Kittens love it, and it is much cheaper than purchasing KMR. So I thought I would share the recipe here. This homemade kitten formula should last up to
one week in a refrigerator.
Ingedients:
- Whole Goat's Milk (1 Quart)
- Light Corn Syrup (1 Teaspoon)
- Nonfat Plain Yogurt (1 Heaping Tablespoon)
- Egg Yolk (1)
- Knox Unflavored Gelatin (1/2 Package * per week of age)
The easiest way to make it is to put all ingredients in a mixer like VitaMix and leave it for 30 minutes. Or simply put them in a saucepan and heat without boiling. Don't forget to whisk.
It is said that 8cc of formula per ounce of body weight per day is targeted food intake for a kitten. But you will not go wrong by feeding them as much as they eat.
Feeding Schedule:
- Newborn ~ 1 week - Every 1 ~ 2 hours
- 1 ~ 2 weeks - Every 2 ~ 3 hours
- 2 ~ 3 weeks - Every 3 ~ 4 hours
- 3 ~ 4 weeks - Every 4 ~ 5 hours
If they seem hungry. Do not wait for the next feeding schedule. Just feed them.
No comments:
Post a Comment