Monday, June 9, 2014

Mercury Poisoning

Some cats love eating fish but some has no interest. My cats definitely prefer fish over meat. However, I stopped giving them fish regularly when I found out that cats could get mercury poisoning. Although they were getting canned fish cat food with necessary vitamins and minerals, they were ingesting far more mercury on a body-weight basis than a human did. Also I realized that most pet food companies use the lowest grades of fish because the higher grades are mainly for human consumption and expensive, the canned fish food I was giving them must have even more toxic waste. Looking back, my cats might have been lightly poisoned by mercury.

Here are sgins of mercury poisoning in cats.
  • Over-excitement
  • Irritability
  • Incoordination
  • Convulsions
  • Bleeding gums
  • Alveolar bone loss
  • Loosening of teeth
  • Excessive salivation
  • Foul breath
  • Stiff hind legs
  • Tremors
  • Blindness

No comments:

Post a Comment