Thursday, August 7, 2014

Pet Loss and Grief


As caregivers, we share each other’s joys and sorrows in loving these beautiful creatures. Sometimes, only a fellow pet owner can understand the grief of losing a furry (or feathery, or scaly or otherwise) family member. We need time to deal with a death, whether human or feline. I think only by allowing ourselves to feel the loss and taking the time to mourn can we properly move on. We all experience grief in a different way and for different lengths of time; it may even feel different for each pet. So don’t be hard on yourself for what you’re feeling. Seek out others who have lost furry friends, or who at least understand the depth of your love. Don’t push yourself to move on unless it begins to interfere with your work or family relationships. I will take this opportunity to advocate for multiple-pet homes. We can’t always be there for our cats, and having more than one cat means they not only play and keep each other company when we're not at home, but they will be there for you when one of them crosses to the Rainbow Bridge. I don’t think I could bear to come home with an empty carrier to an empty home. So if you don’t already have more than one cat, I hope you will consider adopting another one when the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment